Our commitment to credit unions supports financial well-being for all ~ CUNA Mutual Group
Gerry Singleton, VP, Credit Union System Relations, CUNA Mutual Group
At CUNA Mutual Group, we believe a brighter financial future should be accessible to everyone. This purpose directly aligns with our “why” as a credit union movement – we have the heart and capacity to lead the way in providing financial well-being for all.
CUNA Mutual has always been there to partner with credit unions to positively impact members’ lives. When it comes to system support, we consistently demonstrate we are far more than just a vendor. We contributed more than $147 million to the credit union system over the last five years. In addition to the financial support, our employees offer their expertise, passion, and influence to support key credit union initiatives.
1. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Leadership (DEI)
Culture and ethnicity heavily influence financial behaviors and there’s a strong link between financial well-being and DEI. We have significant strategic partnerships with the African American Credit Union Coalition, Inclusiv, the National Association of Latino Credit Unions & Professionals, Defense Credit Union Council, the Global Women’s Leadership Network the Credit Union Women’s Leadership Alliance, and the Credit Union DEI Collective with a focus in improving opportunities and financial inclusion. In addition to those partnerships we:
- Consistently participate in social justice & inclusiveness advocacy including increased capital for Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs), broadband access, ABLE accounts, and expansion of fields of membership to serve more people, particularly in underserved areas.
- Partner with Inclusiv on the CDFI Awareness and Certification Campaign to educate credit unions about the benefits of certification in serving members and local small businesses.
2. Adding our Voice to Advocacy
When there’s an advocacy need, we are there to stand united with credit unions. Notable issues we’ve recently focused our efforts on in partnership with the National Association of Federally Insured Credit Unions (NAFCU), Credit Union National Association (CUNA), and the leagues include:
- Preserving the credit union tax exemption at the state and federal level
- Federal and state data privacy legislative issues
- Increased CDFI and Minority Depository Institution funding
- Interchange Fees
- Ensuring Consumer Financial Protection Bureau regulations don’t create an unnecessary burden on credit unions
3. Strategic System Partnerships & Initiatives
We are proud to provide both financial and in-kind support on many important initiatives with our system partners. Here are a few most recent examples.
- Support credit union growth with a $3 million contribution to CUNA’s credit union awareness initiative and provided our expertise in several areas – consumer marketing, multicultural and digital.
- Help credit unions improve lives across the globe with a dollar-for-dollar match up to $1 million for the World Council’s Bridge the Gap campaign.
- Work with Leagues on advocacy, promotion, and engagement at the state level and league foundations on financial inclusion, disaster recovery, and charitable support.
- Help Filene deliver cutting-edge research and incubation opportunities as an inner circle sponsor and recently committed to sponsoring our second Center of Excellence focused on consumer lives in transition.
Our partnership with the National Credit Union Foundation helps us stay focused on our purpose. We’re a top (Sustaining Circle) sponsor, have more than 40 active Credit Union Development Educators, supported the creation of Exploring Why workshops, and we step up when disasters strike to support CUAid.
We’ve been here all along and we’ll continue to support the vitality of credit unions so we can collectively help provide financial well-being and brighter financial futures for all.