Curating Resources to Help Your Credit Union
We know there many resources circulating surrounding COVID-19 and it can be hard to sort through the noise at times. We are facing challenges that we haven’t seen before, but throughout history, credit unions have made it through difficult times by adhering to our cooperative business principles. As the leaders in credit union member and employee financial health & well-being, we want to provide you with what we believe to be the most helpful resources to help your organization right now.
Latest Updates to Share
- The Foundation and CUNA recently partnered to host an eSchool on putting empathy into action during the pandemic. All four sessions were recorded and can be viewed by registering here.
- The Foundation is proud to have partnered with Coopera to fund this video about credit unions and their services to help their Spanish-speaking members during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- CUNA Senior Policy Analyst Samira Salem hosted a videocast where she discussed DEI and how the current pandemic is affecting people of color and low-income individuals disproportionately.
- Our #CUFinHealth webinar in April featured expert panelists who shed light on the current and future state of consumer financial well-being. The slide on the right is courtesy of panelist Fiona Greig from JPMorgan Chase Institute, who shared that families typically need six weeks of income as a cash buffer during a simultaneous income dip and spending spike but typically fall short by over half.
Financial Health & Well-being
Here is what the Foundation has either written or found to be the best sources surrounding the financial health of your members and staff:
- COVID-19 and financial well-being: lessons learned from Inclusiv and their pathways to financial empowerment program – the Foundation and Inclusiv
- Communicating with your Spanish-speaking members during the COVID-19 crisis – the Foundation and Coopera
- COVID-19 & financial well-being: What can credit unions do? – the Foundation
- Why the COVID-19 crisis is also about financial health – BALANCE via CUInsight
- Keep members best interests at heart – CUNA
- Taking care of your members during a stressful situation – PSCU
- Helping your Spanish speaking members – the Foundation
- How employers can reduce the financial burden of COVID-19 webinar – Commonwealth
Protecting People's Finances
Sometimes it seems as if there is as much misinformation as there is information and the public concern unfortunately brings out additional scams.
- Protect your credit union and members from Coronavirus scammers – CSI via CUInsight
- 9 precautions you should take to protect your finances – CUInsight
Industry Leaders Perspective
The Foundation has gathered perspectives, insights and tips from reputable industry partners.
- Credit union volunteer perspective
- Credit union system partner perspective – PSCU
- Insurance & investment perspective – CUNA Mutual Group
- Business lending perspective – CU Business Group
- View the “Working with Commercial Borrowers in Tough Economic Times” webinar – CU Business Group
Living the Credit Union Difference
It is important now more than ever that we remember the credit union difference and practice empathetic leadership.
- The case for empathy in trying times – the Foundation & Interra Credit Union
- The power and practice of empathy – CUNA
- 4 ways empathy can show up in your COVID-19 response – Greenpath Financial Wellness via CUInsight
What About CUAid?
CUAid™ harnesses the cooperative generosity of our system to get credit union employees and volunteers back on their feet so they can serve members. CUAid™ was designed to respond to regional disasters where one part of the country needs help and the rest of us can support our credit union family in that area. And it’s worked well through hurricanes, wildfires, tropical storms and even the Oklahoma bombing 20 years ago that so deeply affected three credit unions. It wasn’t built for a national state of emergency like the one our entire country is currently experiencing and it does not fall under our guidelines.
Resources for Younger Members
With kids spending more time than usual and home in front of the TV , the Foundation wants to provide you with resources to share with staff and members to help kids learn about finances, entrepreneurship and building a better financial future.
The Foundation is the proud steward of Biz Kid$, a national financial education initiative that teaches kids about money and business. And, even better, Biz Kid$ is exclusively funded and branded by credit unions! We have created an online community to easily package and share Biz Kid$ resources with credit unions.
Join our Biz Kid$ Community
We'd Love to Hear Your Stories
Share with us what you are doing during this difficult time to help your communities:
Get in touch
For more information or questions on any of our resources
Contact Gigi Hyland, Executive Director