Early during the COVID-19 pandemic, everything seemed to be changing by the day and there was upheaval in nearly every part of life. As we continued to adapt to the “new normal”, the Foundation wanted to do something to inspire hope and creativity for credit unions during the pandemic. From that idea, our Together Tuesdays video series was created.
“Inspiration is everywhere. You as financial first responders are showing up for your members […] You’re also doubling down on empathy and empathetic leadership, really understanding where your members, your employees and your communities are right now and helping.” – Foundation Executive Director Gigi Hyland
In partnership with CUNA Mutual Group, we shared 17 videos to help us all feel connected in a time when our world shifted to a virtual environment. We heard from a variety of credit unions individuals from across the country, kicking off with a message from Foundation Executive Director Gigi Hyland around the Foundation’s continuing work to inspire credit unions to leverage their cooperative superpowers in a time when the credit union difference could not be more important.
In the weeks following, we heard messages and stories of collaboration, perseverance and wisdom from previous Herb Wegner Award winners, credit union foundation leaders, current and former industry CEOs and more. We learned about the different ways credit unions were assisting their members through the financial difficulty of the pandemic and how they were staying inspired and inspiring their employees. We were reminded that opportunity can present itself in difficult situations, leading to new and innovative ways to serve our members.
As we persevere through the pandemic and tackle new challenges, it’s important to remember that we are all in this together and do not need to look far for inspiration and hope to brighten our days. Credit unions and our movement are doing incredible work to serve members and we should be proud of our resiliency.
Thank you to everyone who made Together Tuesdays a success and we’ll see you in September with our next video series!
- Episode 1 with Gigi Hyland, Foundation Executive Director
- Episode 2 with Maurice Smith, 2020 Wegner Award Winner and Local Government FCU & CIvic Federal Credit Union CEO
- Episode 3 with Teresa Freeborn, 2020 Wegner Award Winner and Xceed Financial Credit Union CEO
- Episode 4 with Maria Martinez, Border FCU President & CEO
- Episode 5 with Bob Trunzo, CUNA Mutual Group President & CEO
- Episode 6 with Jim Nussle, CUNA President & CEO
- Episode 7 with Brett Martinez, Redwood Credit Union President & CEO
- Episode 8 with John Fiore and Bob Schumacher, both previous Wegner Award winners
- Episode 9 with Vanessa Kuduk, Members Credit Union VP of Lending & Hispanic Outreach
- Episode 10 with Renee Sattiewhite, African American Credit Union Coalition (AACUC) President & CEO
- Episode 11 with Chad Helminak, Foundation Director of DE and Cooperative Culture
- Episode 12 with state credit union foundation leaders
- Episode 13 with Charles Elliott, Mississippi Credit Union Association President & CEO
- Episode 14 with Lynette Smith, TruEnergy FCU President & CEO
- Episode 15 with Lisa Ginter, CommunityAmerica Credit Union CEO
- Episode 16 with Jim Morrell, Peninsula CU President & CEO
- Episode 17 with Gigi Hyland, Foundation Executive Director