Credit union supporters are encouraged to nominate individuals and organizations for the Herb Wegner Memorial Awards to be presented by the National Credit Union Foundation (NCUF). Winners will be honored at NCUF’s annual awards dinner on February 24, 2014 in conjunction with the Credit Union National Association (CUNA) Governmental Affairs Conference (GAC) in Washington, D.C.
“NCUF’s Wegner Awards are widely considered the highest national honors in the credit union movement,” said Josie Collins, NCUF Director of Donor Relations and Resource Development. “We encourage credit union supporters to nominate their best and brightest whose achievements fulfill the Foundation’s mission to make financial freedom achievable through credit unions.”
Nominations need to be made by Friday, June 28, 2013 for the following awards:
- The Individual Achievement Award honors an unsung hero for their innovative concepts and/or accomplishments that are ongoing and current contributions to the credit union community for their work within the past three to five years. Accomplishments must have had a significant impact or a potential impact on the local and/or national and/or international credit union movement with measured results. Nominations must cite a specific subject of achievement such as financial literacy, service to the underserved, alternatives to predatory lending, and/or new products.
- The Outstanding Organization/Program Award honors an organization, program or business for their innovative concepts and/or product/services that have had a significant impact on the local and/or national and/or international credit union movement with measured results.
- The Lifetime Achievement Award honors an individual who has dedicated their life to promoting the credit union philosophy, created innovative concepts and provided leadership that has had a significant and lasting impact on the local and/or national and/or international credit union movement.
“One thing this year that the NCUF Awards & Recognition Committee added is new criteria so credit union supporters who’ve made a significant impact locally can also be nominated,” added Collins.
Nominations can come from individuals and/or organizations. The following are the three steps needed to make a nomination:
- Complete the Wegner Awards nomination form on the NCUF website (www.ncuf.coop).
- Gather at least five letters of recommendation citing examples of the nominee’s achievements relevant to the award criteria.
- Send the nomination form and recommendation letters electronically to NCUF by June 28.
Questions about the Wegner Awards can be directed to Josie Collins at firstname.lastname@example.org or (800) 356-9655, Ext. 4374.
About the Herb Wegner Memorial Awards:
The awards are named in honor of the late Credit Union National Association CEO Herb Wegner, whose tireless dedication, innovative ideas and deeds truly revolutionized the ways that credit unions serve their communities. The awards that bear Wegner’s name recognize his spirit of “innovative, creative, risk-taking” leadership. View past award recipients here.
About the National Credit Union Foundation (ncuf.coop):
The National Credit Union Foundation is the US credit union movement's primary national philanthropic program provider, fundraiser and grant-maker, working to help consumers achieve financial freedom through credit unions. Through NCUF grants and programs, credit unions provide widespread financial education, create greater access to affordable financial services, and empower more consumers to save, build assets, and own homes.
NCUF is funded primarily by investments in the award-winning Community Investment Fund (CIF) and by generous Supporters led by the Credit Union National Association and CUNA Mutual Group. All NCUF donors provide support that empowers NCUF and state credit union foundations to make financial freedom achievable through credit unions.
The National Credit Union Foundation is a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt charitable organization. NCUF continues to earn the Better Business Bureau seal of approval as an “Accredited Charity” for meeting all 20 BBB Wise Giving Alliance Standards for national charities.